Tuesday 8 December 2009

Adapted Dillie





PART 1:-



Remember the fair Gran?
The two of us there Gran?
On the merry go round!

I stood there entranced.
The bright horses danced.
To an erie sound -
Round and around.

'Only one quid for pleasure' we're told.
So, I rode on a horse made of green and of gold

Look Gran! No hands. I'm riding the round-a-bout. All by myself!
Look Gran! No hands. I called as I past her. Faster. Faster!


'Hold tight my love' she cried out in fear.
I laughed and pretended.
But I could hear.

-----
How careless we are when we're young
-----



Mum remember the years? All the sulks; all the tears?
Do you recall?

I hated you when you said: 'be home by ten'.
- I thought I knew it all.

You always wanted to know what I'd done
but as far as I knew I was just having fun.

Look Mummy. No hands.
I know how to take good care of myself.

Look Mummy. No hands.
Please don't be a bore.
I know the score.

She tried to warn me. But I won't listen.

-------
How careless we are when we're young
-------

Dad, remember the daughter?
And all that you've taught her
She's grown up at last.

She struggles alone
No-one's at home
As the years all rush past.

But you and Mum are still there to answer her calls
You're not there to catch her when she stumbles and falls

-----------
How careless
----------

Look Lover. No hands. I'm having to do it all by myself.
Look Lover. No hands. I used to dismiss you but now I just miss you.

As my Love grows away. I can feel my heart sinking. I look back. Smile.

Then I find myself thinking...

How careless we are when we're young.

No comments: